Bridges to Success
A program designed to provide individualized, pre-employment services for all Albertans, who require a variety of services to assist them in establishing and maintaining employment or accessing further education/training.
- Each participants program is made up of a combination of some, but not necessarily all, of the following modules
- The participant and the Program Manager work together to create an individualized service plan, taking into account each person’s circumstances and goals
- Clients cannot just take one module
When Participants are enrolled in one of the half day modules, they will take one in the morning, and one in the afternoon, so they will still be expected to attend all day
- A minimum of 12 weeks of participation is required
Life /Essential Skills:
Full day, 4-week module focuses on applied problem solving and communication skills.
- Clients have the opportunity to develop effective listening strategies, how to work with others, and interpersonal skills
- This module is often the first clients take as part of the program
- It lays a foundation of the skills necessary for successes in the program and achieving their goal upon completion
Half day, 4-week module focuses on parenting strategies and effectively balancing work and family.
- Participants aren’t required to take this module if they don’t have children in their care
Half day, 4-week module focuses on coping skills techniques.
- It includes instruction in the use of effective skills and strategies to handle conflict
- The Life Skills module must be completed before clients can take this module
Half day, 4-week module teaches and explores realistic goal setting.
- Participants will have the opportunity to learn more about themselves and what careers are achievable and well suited to their skills
- They research what steps are necessary to meet their employment goals
Job Search/Job Maintenance:
Half day, 4-week module focuses on the skills need to find and retain employment.
- Participants will learn about resume and cover letter writing, interview skills, thank you letters, etc.
- There is instruction on the hidden job market, and how and where to apply for jobs.
Half day, 4-week module covers basic computer literacy and Microsoft Office Skills.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- This is an Introductory Level class.
- This class must be taken as part of the Bridges to Success program. It is not offered as its own workshop.
- Click here for alternative options on computer training in Calgary.
Active Job Search:
We provide ongoing support and assistance from our experienced job search team.
- Assistance with targeting resumes and cover letters to specific jobs.
- One on One assistance with applying online and going out and talking to employers.
- Mock interviews.
- Job leads and job fair information given on a daily basis.
- Usually the final module that clients take. Completed in conjunction with Education/Training Research, depending on client goals.
We provide ongoing support and assistance from our expert educational and training team.
- Researching educational institutes and receiving assistance with application process.
- Support from job coach to ensure your time line of going to school is realistic.
- Usually the final module that clients take. Completed in conjunction with Active Job Search, depending on client goals.
Up to 6-weeks of mandatory work experience component for each participent.
- Participant will gain experience in their field.
- This is an opportunity for clients to create their network.
- This could be volunteer work or paid employment.
- This could be the first weeks of employment in your chosen field.
- Helps participants ensure that career path they have chosen is right for them.
The following modules are designed to give an introductory level of training to assist participants in deciding if further training is required before seeking employment in this area. These modules can also be beneficial to participants who already have training, and/or experience in these areas and are in need of refresher prior to their work search. These modules must be taken as part of the Bridges to Success program and cannot be taken on their own.
Computer Service Training:
Half day, 2-week module focuses on good customer service skills.
- The focus of this module is the 5 values of quality customer service, effective communication, and problem solving.
Job Safety Training :
Half day, 2-week module covers the basics of job safety.
- Information on safety on the workshop is presented. There is no certification (WHMIS, First Aid, etc.) or tickets as part of this course.
Half day, 2-week module that covers basic skills and concepts of office administration.
- Topics covered include telephone etiquette, time management, organization tools, outlook and basic bookkeeping.
Contact Centre Training:
Half day, 2-week module that covers basic contact centre skills.
- Topics covered include telephone skills, articulation, effective listing skills, customer service and courtesy, and dealing with conflict & problem solving.
Cost: No cost to client.
- Clients may receive “needs based” financial assistance
- This “grant” is to help Albertans gain the skills they need to become employed and does not need to be paid back.
- Details of the application requirements and process are explained during the assessment.
- Funding is determined on a case by case basis and the amount depends on the individuals financial circumstances.
Eligibility: Participants who are looking for permanent, full time employment or training upon completion of the program and for at least 6 months after their end date.
- Clients have to be ready, willing, and able to participate in full time training for the duration of the program.
- Participants must be between the ages of 18 – 64.
- Currently unemployed, or unemployed (working less than 19 hours per week).
- Clients cannot have participated in similarly funded training in the previous 4 years.
- Clients cannot have been in public school in the previous 12 months.
- Clients cannot already be enrolled in another training program.
- Participants must have English benchmark of 5-5-5.
Cost: No Cost
Duration: Maximum of 26 weeks including a mandatory work exp Location: Calgary - Parkside Place