Growth 4 U
The Growth 4 U program is specifically designed for individuals coping with mental illness who require assistance to obtain and maintain employment. Based on the Individual Placement and Support model, staff work with clients to create a Return to Work Action Plan which outlines the steps needed to successfully enter or re-enter the workforce.
What Growth 4 U offers:
- In-depth client assessment, case management and a return to work action plan
- 8 week work experience placement in which the client is paid participant wages
- Ongoing support to acquire meaningful employment if client is not hired by work experience host
Program workshops are chosen based on need, and include, but are not limited to:
Mental Health :
Designed for clients to get to know each other and find common ground.
- Client shares some of their life experiences and the impact that mental illness has had on their lives
- Strategies that will help them in the classroom and on the job are discussed
- Facts about mental illness and work are presented as well as success stories of people living and working with mental illness.
- Clients will complete the BESI (Barriers to Employment Success Inventory) and set goals to securing and maintaining employment
Life Skills :
Clients learn about several topics which will help them in personal management.
- Workplace etiquette, disclosure and employer expectations
- Effective listening and questioning concepts
- Problem Solving
- Feelings and feedback
- Conflict resolution
- Reducing stress and anxiety and creating a work/life balance
Learning about personality traits and employment interest areas
- Self discovery activities to discover which skills they enjoy using and what they are interested in doing for work
- Researching occupations that will provide a good match
Job Search :
- Tools for obtaining employment
- Where and how to look for work
- Transferring skills to a resume
- Gathering a list of references
- Interview skills
Work Experience Placement :
- Clients participate in an 8 week paid work experience placement (part-time)
- Both the client and employer are supported by program staff during placement
- If client is not hired on after the 8 weeks, staff will assist in obtaining new employment
This project is funded by the Government of Canada’s Opportunities Fund for Persons with Disabilities.
Cost: No Cost
Duration: Up to 16 weeks Location: Edmonton - Energy Square